This post took longer to write than the trip
We took a whirlwind trip up to Vancouver yesterday to visit Mom, who just had her second elbow replacement (she did the right elbow last August, and she loved it so much, that she went back for the left! Symmetrical arm scars!!). She is doing well, despite battling the nausea she experiences with each and every surgery. Even though it is a grueling recovery, her Rheumatoid Arthritis rendered her elbow joints so damaged that this pain ends up being nothing compared to what she goes through day-to-day. I don't know how she has dealt with it for so long... that's one tough lady. Funny thing... she is in the exact same room that I was in post-surgery when I had my emergency gall bladder surgery four years ago. Carrie has named it the Hughes Suite.
OMG BELLY!!! Lori is 25 weeks along, and she's popping out like a turkey thermometer on Thanksgiving afternoon. She looks gorgeous, doesn't she? Her pregnancy is going so well, and despite some swollen cankle action, she is well and loving her experience. We're all so excited to meet little Grace (who I already call Gracie Lou Freebush... before you judge, please watch Miss Congeniality).
Carrie, Matt and Owen joined us for dinner. No trip to da Couv would be complete without a visit to Burgerville. God bless those makers of fine food, for their turkey burgers and strawberry lemonade. And the strawberry smoothies. And the Walla Walla Sweet Onion Rings when they offer them every July. I truly miss that restaurant, as much as you can miss a restaurant. That and Baja Fresh... my only two fast-food cravings.
Owen is cute, don't you agree? He let me sit next to him. He had grilled cheese and apples, AND apple juice. Keepin' it real. Matt is a poo, on the other hand.
Ruary loved his first trip to Burgerville. In fact, he was so excited to be there, that he wanted to eat the table. Seriously, he REALLY wanted a piece of that table. He wanted nothing to do with the toys... just wanted to suck on table. Ick... babies are gross.We left at about 3:30 and got home at 10:30. Seven hours of car seat sleeping, in-the-backseat-of-the-truck boob pumping (it's an artform... I deserve a medal), eating carrots in the hospital to entertain Mom, spitting up carrots on the hospital room floor, screeching in delight, and more car-seat sleeping on the way home. Ruary travels well, we are fortunate. But you know what, still not getting on a plane! I can't see how that wouldn't end in disaster. Those parents are brave.


4 Comments:
Lori does look great! Congratulations on your new niece! I miss Burgerville a ton, and I've never even had it that often. But they're seriously the best fast food restaurant ever. I had no idea that the tables were tasty though...
12:51 PM
Thanks Sarah and Kelli...Feeling like a beached whale at the moment...
I am glad you guys made the trip. I think it meant a lot to Mom. She beams when Ruru is around. And the big-ass smiles that come out on his face when he sees Grandma is priceless.
My word verification is mints...Hmmm, is blogspot trying to tell me something?
2:24 PM
Honest to Pete, I miss being pregnant - I saw an enormously pregnant friend today and I was whisked back to that magic time. There will never be another time in my life (besides pregnancies) when I can be 50lbs overweight and feel so gorgeous. And BE so gorgeous. Love it, Lori! It's gone too fast, and then you have a baby! Which is cute, but if you like attention on yourself, doesn't do too much for the ol ego. Ruru is adorable as usual. Table good.
Also, I think you should have your mom call mine and expound on the benefits of joint replacement. My mom needs her knees done in a bad way.
2:34 PM
Being an aunt is the best. Hooray for Gracie Lou! : )
We must be fast-food twins separated at birth because the only two fast food places I ever crave are BV and Baja Fresh.
In fact, if I could have three chicken pico de gallo tacos and a BV Oregon marionberry milkshake right now I think I might just cry for joy.
1:20 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home