Does anyone know what the numbers "897" on this blog template mean? Anyone? Help me!!

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Incontinental breakfast

Having spent another week in Tacoma, I can recall why I was so eager to leave that town. Sure, downtown is nice with its architecture and museums, but wow, no one knows how to drive. I stayed in a hotel that was a typical "near the convention center" hotel... lots of jerks on mobile phones and peachy-aqua decor. At least it was air conditioned.

Tuesday's breakfast was great, I met a very nice high school student named Matthew in the elevator. He was into CSI, and he asked if he could sit with me while I ate my bagel and drank my tea. I could tell that he was lonely, and he was fun conversation. I am always reminded why I teach when I meet a nice kid. Breakfast the following days was not so nice, with people forgetting to bring out tea for me, and they did not restock the jams, so I was left with nothing but strawberry.

The class I took was very disappointing. If it had not been for the people I sat with, it would have been unbearable. Mostly, another photo instructor and I swapped ideas and equipment tricks. The instructor was an old-fashioned circling-the-drain CTE administrator who never failed to insert a misogynistic or slightly racist joke into his presentation. He actually said, when referring to WWII, that that era was a time when "men had honor... unlike they do now." He also went on a diatribe about flag etiquette. When I dared to ask WHY the American flag is supposed to be on the left side of a podium, he said that is just how it is supposed to be. He also said that he has a bald eagle collection at home. Getting a feel for the character? Pure torture. I just did the assignment and ignored what else he told us, since the information was not new to me anyway.

One more day in Tacoma next week to finish up my classes, then I can focus on the move. I'm tired.

1 Comments:

Blogger clumsygirl said...

what? you actually questioned the instructor? how dare you? you're such a brazen hussy. As Mr.Bell used to say, you better watch out or you'll be dancing on tables soon.

you have my sympathy, but right now... I might trade you for the basement cleaning duties. (ick, ick)

1:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home