A couple of thoughts about wrestling
I went to my first wrestling meet yesterday, and I'm not sure how to feel. My feelings about "making weight" and eating disorders aside, it is a weird sport. It is very primal, yet at the same time VERY homosexual. I do not disagree with homosexuality (as the people reading this blog probably know about me already), however I know that the students at my school who DO wrestle would never want that association with the sport. If you are ever at a meet, just watch the coaches and how they physically communicate with their wrestlers...
I never thought of digging razor clams as a strange thing to do with one's time. When my husband decided to go along with my father and me a few years ago, I got to see the pastime in a new way. Husband insisted that, instead of "clam digging", it should be referred to as "clam catching". If a digger uses a shovel (which they SHOULD be using if they are able-bodied... guns are for those who cannot physically dig, in my opinion), then the digger must chase the clam through the sand to grab it. Most of the time, I only manage to grab the very top of the shell, which results in a primal struggle where I must wait until that perfect moment where the clam takes another attempt to gain another inch. If I am persistent, I will win over the bivalve's will and get to put him/her into my converted antifreeze bottle. If I am weak, clam gets its way and digs too deep for me to follow. So yes, maybe it is "catching clams", but I can't say that with a straight face. Someone who is new to digging might look upon a scene of people in boots with white pieces of paper attached to their hats, stomping ten or fifteen paces and turning around to look at their footsteps, and laugh. Sometimes I do... it looks really funny.
I blame these thoughts on the weather. Cheers.


4 Comments:
I really don't like hearing about the boys who are fasting, or worse, trying to sweat off the weight. Freaks me out. Is this what we're teaching them?
re: clam diggin'
I introduced brian to this recently. He enjoys the chase, but couldn't deal with the cleaning. Especially when they squirmed. Poor kiddo. He couldn't eat them after he saw them being cleaned. :)
ps. my word verification was nixbo. sounds like a strange political history abbrevation.
5:26 PM
I also REALLY object the the weight loss thing. Very bad for your health. In one of the Vancouver school districts a classmate was saying when the kids get physicals the doctor sets how low thier wieght can go. If they are at a healthy weight the doctors puts a note that they can not wrestle under that weight. I think that helps some, but still not the heavy ones. I just don't like wrestling or boxing.
The first time we took Adam clam digging he refused to stick his hand in the hole. He thought he dad said the clams were biting when Len said "the clam is fighting". Cute.
7:33 PM
To say "catching clams" around a local is bad enough. Heaven forbid you say tracking, hunting, chasing, or trapping. All of which are valid descriptive terms for this sport in my opinion. They are, after all, living creatures that try their damndest to avoid being captured. If they were actually covered in razors I know they would try to cut you.
1:00 AM
If clams were covered with razors, clam digging would be much more interesting.
9:35 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home