I have spent the better part of today editing the latest issue of my students' newspaper. The writing is getting a bit better, but I think I have to have a serious talk about headline writing with my crew. "What's a direct object?" (actual question from student) "Well, it's the noun that the verb is being done to, as in 'Mrs. S roundhouse-kicked your HEAD because you don't pay attention'." (not actual answer from teacher, that would be "irresponsible")
On a better note, I am really proud of a few of my editors. My E-i-C wrote a wonderful editorial about how whiny teens should stop and count their blessings, that they do not have to fight for their lives on a daily basis like kids in Africa must, whether it be due to disease or civil war. Sure, a bit cliche' due to Thanksgiving, but it still gives me hope that my students are not as self-centered as I think they are. (Long story there, not willing to go into it... involves the "Senior Hall of Fame" section of our yearbook, which after this year, is NEVER going to be in another of my yearbooks. Errgh.)
Well, I guess I'll go down that road... if I don't get a chance to post before the holiday, Happy Turkey Day (or Tofurkey Day) to everyone. Maybe I'll see you at Freddie's, buying half-price socks, on Friday morning.


1 Comments:
Hall of Fames are always mean and ridiculous. I'm sorry it happened to your yearbook.
foo.
9:26 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home