Summer will be here in two weeks (even though the weather is saying it is here nowwww). Half of my seniors skipped the second half of the day (hint, idiots: if you have a teacher for a class in the morning AND in the afternoon, don't skip. That's stupid, and you're going to be truant). The monkeys are getting impossible... I really hope it rains tomorrow to dampen their spirits. How will I get any cleaning done if I don't have my young servants the last week of school?
I bought my first pair of shoes for a student today. This girl was walking around barefoot, which is a big no-no in my classroom (bisque shards and such, not to mention the things that I DON'T know about that might be on the floor). When I asked her where the hay her shoes were, she said she might have some in her locker... she came to school without shoes and hadn't worn any all day. (How she made it through the first three periods and lunch without a teacher sending her to find shoes, I don't know... grrr) I sent her to her locker, and after being gone for a suspiciously long time, I checked on her. She was crying at her locker... I eventually got out of her that she didn't have any shoes, she only had one pair where she was living but they were her mom's and didn't fit and gave her blisters. Wow, this is f-ing high school. I had heard stories from retired ELEMENTARY teachers from our district buying shoes, socks and underwear for their students, but I never thought it would happen in the high school. Anyhoo, I told her I had some extra shoes at home, because we are the same size... but having just gone through and gotten rid of extraneous shoes, I didn't have any, so whilst in the "city" this afternoon, I picked up some ravishing yet cheap flip flops that a teenager hopefully wouldn't die of embarrassment wearing.
I don't know who to be mad at for my student not having any shoes.


1 Comments:
Wow! That is awful. Does she wear an 8? I have not been through my shoes in a long time. Let me know I can bring some in. Also, FYI, I keep extra running shoes in my car and in the track shed for kids without shoes. I use to keep extra t-shirts and shorts in my car, but ran out. I should go re-stock.
11:22 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home