A new kind of awesomeness!
Today, I finally did it. I picked up a bari sax once again. However, it wasn't just ANY bari sax, oh my no. It was the very same bari sax I played in high school! And I played one of the very same songs I played in high school!!!
I joined an all-girls band for my school's "Battle of the Sexes" assembly. We played Rock and Roll Part 2, better known as the "Hey Song". We rocked the hizzy. Secret Squirrel played the tambourine. Another teacher played cowbell. It was friggin' brilliant.
On a sad note, my old bari (which the kids have since nicknamed "Moby" because it is silver-white in color) has seen better days. There is a rubber band holding the octave key shut (so it's all in the embouchure, folks!) and all the keys feel loose (if you press down too tight, it won't play!). But it was so much fun... now to haunt Ebay for one of my own. I miss it!


5 Comments:
That is awesome! Love the picture too. I have also had a recent experience that threw me back into the old jazz band days, but I don't want to ruin the surprise, so you'll have to wait for the blog post to come out. :)
1:05 PM
That is great. I am sure it was fun to do that again. You rock!!
2:19 PM
Rad dude terminator.
9:27 AM
You ought to do what I did and take the instruments over to the magic maker in Astoria for evaluation. Mr. Thompson doesn't think what he does is very special, but I can tell you I think it is. He took the over 60 year old sax we almost gave to Sarah to play in pep band and made it not only beautiful, but playable. Okay it can only be played with piano music, but it is a C Melody sax. Something I didn't know until then. He does great work and wasn't too expensive. It looks good on you by the way.
6:57 PM
Thompson's Instrument Repair was responsible for making sure that sax made it through high school with me... I think I had the pads replaced three times, and many, many key adjustments. I think I was over there at least once every three months during my pep band/jazz band years! He did certainly work wonders.
9:29 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home