Does anyone know what the numbers "897" on this blog template mean? Anyone? Help me!!

Saturday, June 27, 2009

GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

So, those ladies out there who have done the whole lactation thing, let me get a witness... boobs come with a whole set of maladies when you're using them for good and not evil, am I right? Ruary just turned 7 months old last week, and I thought I had this pumping thing down, yo. And I do. But last night, I clogged up like the line for the Captain Eo ride in 1983. Par for the course, just takes a couple of pumping sessions to unclog, right? WRONG. This morning, I woke up feeling a little icky, and the icky turned to general malaise, and body aches, and fatigue. (sidebar... I love the word malaise, don't you? sounds much prettier than it should) By this evening, I was running a 100.7 fever. For me, someone who ROUTINELY measures 97.9 degrees (it's my normal, it's why I'm hardly ever cold), that's a goodly amount of fever. So I called my lady doctor center, who tried to page the on-call... no answer. An hour later, they tried another doctor, who flippantly told me to go to the ER if I was worried about it. IT'S MY BOOBS, OF COURSE IT'S A LITTLE IMPORTANT TO ME AND MY CHILD, WHOM I FEED FROM THESE FONTS OF GOODNESS!

So after my last pumping, off I go to the local ER. Now, I have never gone there for more than an x-ray, so I was apprehensive, but I am impressed. I got there at 10:15, and I was home by 11:15. The verdict: Mastitis, an infection of the milk ducts. NOT A SURPRISE... I had already self-diagnosed this very condition, which doctors love, but this doctor agreed with me! Thank you, doctor with a German name.

Mastitis is something that is VERY rare past the sixth week postpartum, but of course I can't follow such rules. If I did, I would be nursing my child like a normal milk-maker and not tied to the demon pump every 4-5 hours. Aha, but not for long... we're at the end of our stage 1 foods, and soon we will begin the odyssey into stage 2, which means only 24 ounces of milk a day as opposed to the nearly 36 he gets. That means less pumping! And eventually an unbroken 8 hours of sleep for me. And hopefully no more infections.

Do I know how to rock a Saturday night, or what?

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Ugh! I'm sorry to hear you got mastitis. It sounds like you had the textbook case. Seriously must suck though. I hope you're able to bounce back quickly. There's just nothin' like having nursing issues. It makes everything just a lot harder to cope with, I think. But I've got to give you some major respect for pumping so long. It must be nice to have a light at the end of the tunnel. You can do it!

8:37 PM

 
Blogger Carole said...

Mastitis is AWFUL and I totally feel for you. I had it during my post-Michael pumping days and that was pretty much the nail in the coffin for my EP-ing. The antibiotics work quickly, so hopefully you'll feel better soon. I too love the word "malaise," and similarly also love "malady."

Will we be seeing y'all at the port for 4th of July festivities? PS-Saw Matt at Evan's b-day party and got to meet his girlfriend and her son, who played really nicely with Michael. Cool!

1:54 PM

 
Blogger Amelia said...

Sounds like you and Carole should learn to speak French - both malaise and malady are French.

I am soooo sorry about your boobs. I hope they get better very soon.

1:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home