Listy McListerson... my anti-complaint.
I do my fair share of complaining to the internet. Once in a while, I notice this and try to keep my karma in check by balancing myself with good things. So here goes, I decided it was time to create a list of things about which I am quite happy! It's a thankful list, way in advance of the turkey-stuffed holiday:
• I am VERY thankful that I have a beautiful, healthy son. Watching my cousin and his family go through the terrifying experience of having their tiny daughter diagnosed with cancer hit this home for me, and I will never take for granted the fact that Ruary has had relatively few health issues.
• Along those lines, I am thankful for RUARY. His personality is showing itself, and he is developing into an easy-going, silly, kind kid with a fabulous sense of humor. I'm digging the little person he is on his way to becoming. He is truly rad. His little lipless, devilish smile knocks me over every time he uses it, because he already seems to know that his Mom is a sucker for it. Sheesh.
• My family is truly wonderful. I look at some people's families, and they either have nonexistent parents and siblings, or their families are so up-in-their-grills that the constant criticism and passive-aggressive behavior shuts down the relationship. My family is, a la three bears, just right. I share with them a similar view of the world, and it's nice to have people to vent to when you simply can't take another Michael Jackson tribute.
• Old friends, and new friends. Old friends know who you are and where you came from, and it's just easy. And it's really cool to find new people who you can spar with about pop culture and motherhood. I have good friends... and just the right amount.
• I'm happy that I have a job... especially one that I can return to full-time. I'm glad that I enjoy this job enough that I want to be there. My students are very important to me, and they make me laugh and make me want to strangle them, sometimes at the very same time. They have taught me about parenting because they are all my kids... although, after 2:55 pm, they become someone else's kids again. And for that I am grateful.
• I am, ahem, grateful that I haven't had to pay for formula since Ruary was a month old. That crap is expensive. And that is all I am grateful for on that front. I said I wouldn't complain in this post.
• I am SO EXCITED to become an auntie. I am grateful that my sister is getting to experience pregnancy in such a positive way, and that she is fulfilling her dream of becoming a Mom. I hope in some way that I can help, but she has always been the even-keeled one, so I'm sure I will learn something by watching her in action. She will be an amazing mother.
• My husband. Yes, I want to throw things at him sometimes, but he is the most caring, hilarious, inspiring vision of a father I have ever seen. I love him, even if he is addicted to the Twilight series and is a complete enabler when it comes to my sugar addiction. And last but not least...
• Chocolate milk. And Haagen Dazs Caramel Cone ice cream. I couldn't have done it without you two.
This is never going to be a complete list, because when it shakes down, I am pretty freakin' blessed. But this is a start, and I didn't complain ONE BIT, did I? Enjoy your Friday and your weekend, and may your days be filled with sugary goodness.


4 Comments:
Very well put. Our whole family is very blessed. We are very lucky.
12:06 PM
Hurrah! Your thankfulness makes me mindful of things I should be thankful for too, something we should all be reminded of now and then.
But all this talk of thanks has got me jonesin' for turkey... dang!
1:11 PM
I say my blessings every night. Perhaps I should start reciting them out loud? I imagine that your list, like mine, could go on for miles... we are truly blessed!
3:54 PM
You're pretty OK in my book too... and that book is Twilight. You can be Bella and I'll be Edward and... *wink
11:16 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home