Does anyone know what the numbers "897" on this blog template mean? Anyone? Help me!!

Monday, September 14, 2009

Update... back in the saddle.

I am owning up to the fact that there may be some complaining in this post. I am trying to keep a positive outlook, so feel free to call me on it... but hey, it's life. Soooo, back to school. We were officially under way on September first, so we're in the thick of it. And even though kids are still transferring into my class (at this point, kids are copping out of AP courses in favor of trying to skate by in an art class... although I outright told a kid "NO!" when she begged to get out of AP US History and into my yearbook class), we're starting to fall into a bit of a rhythm. The morning routine is working for the most part, and Rick just did his first Monday with Ruary. He is doing a Tuesday-Saturday work week so Mom doesn't have to take Ruary for five days a week (very, very exhausting for anyone with fully functioning elbows!), and I think he enjoyed having a boys-only day. They went to Fred Meyer and got some new toys.

So what am I complaining about, you ask?

I MISS MY BOY.

Full time is crap. I am fully expecting to win the lottery soon so I can quit my job and stay home with Ruary for another year. Better yet, maybe I could hire someone to clean the house and watch Ruary while I go to school to teach one period a day (Yearbook!). Of course, if I won the lottery, I would donate my services to the school and teach the class for free, because that is exactly the type of rich person I would be. And I wouldn't care about paying more taxes, either, because what is money for? Okay, getting off the soapbox... So, bottom line, I love teaching, but I love Ruary more. Conundrum.

But guess what? I haven't won the lottery. So I must shut the heck up and do my job, because if we want to keep our house and vehicles, I gotta work. But I think that the nail in the coffin for me is the fact that, on the days Mom has the boy, I have to come home and pump before I go get him. Okay, you got me, I don't HAVE to do it, but I have a boy on my hands who is healthy as healthy can be (only one fever so far, knock on Ikea particle board!), and I know that what I have been able to do for him has GOT to have something to do with his healthy shininess. My new goal is to make it to a year, but after that, I'm going through flu season... which would mean April. I'm thinking that, after Ruary turns one year in November, I will go down to twice-a-day or even once-a-day pumping, because even a small, small amount provides those delicious B lymphocytes that just might help fight off the nasty stuff that I bring home from those filthy teenagers. It is worth it to me to continue, even if it means I have to spend 45 minutes after school on "the deed".

So to sum it up, teaching=good, Ruary=better, but paycheck=necessary.

Some fun facts: We went to Ruary's 9 month appointment last week, and he is, well, growing. He's up to 25 lbs. 3 oz., 30.5 inches long (although I think they didn't get an accurate measurement since he was that tall at his six month appointment). He is cruising all over the place, desperately trying to stand up while in the middle of the room WITHOUT the aid of furniture (but failing, thank goodness!), is quite a fan of giving high-fives, and still loves dancing. And he has the most adorable curl on the back of his head that looks like the curl on a duck's butt. Just thought you would like to know.

Okay. That's all. Except for this.

4 Comments:

Blogger Amelia said...

My goal is to make it to a year and then stop pumping... but to still nurse as long as I/we want to. I don't think Charles will give it up anytime soon. However, the pumping is becoming more and more difficult, so I am excited to quit that soon.
Work is good, it makes us well-rounded people. Ruary will learn a lot from having a mama who works, and he will respect women who work his whole life, in addition to appreciating and upholding the woman he loves and marries when she has to work and be a mom, too. So it really is win-win and the best thing for our boys.
I know it is tough, but try to keep positive and remember the awesome difference you get to make in your own child's and many other children's lives every day! You are a good mom, perhaps even a better one for taking on the responsibility of financially providing for your family (AND intellectually providing for them by staying "plugged in" to the working/social/educational/political world - sometimes I think that if I didn't work, I would run out of things other than Charles to talk about, and that isn't much fun for anyone else).

8:14 AM

 
Blogger LIONO said...

I'm with you dear. If I could pull down enough bank to keep us in this sophisticated and lavish lifestyle without you working I would fully support you being a stay-at-home mom.

11:51 PM

 
Blogger K Schimmy said...

I could always sell my gold-plated shoes and diamond-encrusted rims.

3:32 PM

 
Blogger Sheflex said...

Thank you for the uplifting link at the end.

2:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home