Nature's Candy!
I didn't do my berry post last year, because frankly, even the thought of sweet-tart wild berries turned my stomach in my sixth month of baby cookin'... and our berries unfortunately went unpicked. But this year, we have once again been made stewards of a decent berry harvest on our property. Have I mentioned that I love where we live? I did not have to plant these berries. I did not have to water or fertilize them. Heck, I outright IGNORED them most of the year, until from across the yard we spot the telltale bright red color that says, "Hey, lazy gardener, it's berry pickin' time!" Betcha didn't know that colors could talk. Heh.
Pictured above: You recognize the blackberries, I'm sure (Trailing Blackberries, native species... we do have a lot of invasive Himalayan Blackberries on our property, but we hope that neighbor-goat usage will start to decrease their appearance over the years), but we also have Red Huckleberries (which I used to pick at Grandma's house on the bay) and Thimbleberries, both of which are also natives.
What do you think... vanilla ice cream? Yeah, that's what I was thinking.


11 Comments:
Oh! That sounds so good! I'm impressed that the native blackberries have survived in the face of the Himalayans--they're terrible! My folks have a ton of them on their property.
7:47 PM
We do, too... but the Trailing variety seems to wind itself under and around the invasive ones. We're trying to use the goat strategically so he doesn't eat the good ones, but it's hard!
8:11 PM
Don't forget about the Salmon Berries. They're yummy too!
9:03 PM
There were only like 3 or 4 ripe Salmonberries. They'll come on a little later, I think. But yes, they're super-yum, too!
9:11 PM
I missed the blackberries terribly last year - the weather was so messed up that they didn't even come in up north, and I was too pregnant to travel when they came in down south. This year will be different, though... I plan to pick my inlaws' yard clean!
12:06 PM
Break out the ice cream and the epi-pen just in case. We're coming over and picking some of the yummy items whether you're home or not, come baby shower weekend.
12:06 PM
Where is your property? I promise not to stalk you!
10:49 AM
We're on the 101 alternate. Turn at the KOA campground from Astoria direction, and we're on one of the driveways across from the cow pasture. We're nice and hidden!
4:07 PM
MMMMMMMMMMM....I agree with Carrie. We are picking some shower weekend. If you haven't eaten them all already. Your neice wants some.
7:28 PM
My berries! MINE!! No berries for you today!
12:38 AM
I loves me some berries. Jim and Vera have about 50 acres of property, most of it crawling with berries. So far this summer I've picked enough of the "good" blackberries for four pies; I hand all the berries off to my mother, who makes the most amazing pie you've ever tasted.
The Himilyans are pretty awful for baking, but leave it to my mother-in-law to find a good use for them. She boils them down with sugar and a little cinnamon, and strains it until there's just juice left. Then she adds vodka. Pour a little over some ice and add 7-Up... delicious! She calls it "blackberry bounce." It makes me bounce, that's for sure.
8:36 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home