Does anyone know what the numbers "897" on this blog template mean? Anyone? Help me!!

Saturday, July 23, 2011

The C word

Yep. I think we have a colicky baby... because he's just pissed, most of the time. And sometimes he can be soothed, but mostly he has to fart it out or become so completely exhausted by his own fussing that he passes out. And did I mention he's sensitive to noise? And isn't a fan of diapers? And has a butt rash that won't go away?

I suck at this kid. All I can say is, at least my boobs are working.

I have read a lot about colic and the "fourth trimester", wherein some babies are just not ready to cope with the world. I'm thinking Milo feels that way. Although I am giving up dairy for a while to see if that helps, I think he's just not equipped nerve-wise to soothe himself. Things that will soothe him one minute are inadequate and worthy of a cry-fest the next. I am at my wit's end, because I can't make my child happy (except to stick a boob in his mouth, but how am I ever going to go back to work if that is what makes him stop crying?).

I want peace. I want to NOT be in a state of cat-like readiness.

5 Comments:

Blogger Amelia said...

Charles' bleeding butt rash got so bad that I spent one afternoon just crying and fanning his little bum, cleaning up messes and trying to keep him air-dry. Then we switched to cloth and that seemed to help a bunch. Let me know if you want advice on that.
I know how this is, and all I can say is, good luck. I mean it, and not in a snarky way. I really hope Milo figures things out for you soon. Changing diet, grabbing a beer for you once in awhile, babywearing while vacuuming (for the noise), whatever it takes... I just hope you figure out the right combination. And, as I remind myself constantly, it goes so fast! Before you know it, this will have passed.

8:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As Amelia mentioned, what you've described rings very true in my memory. I remember the advice you gave us at one point mentioning that every person has their own personality and perhaps Charlie would grow to be a very sensitive person and this was just the reflection of that sensitivity in his personality. That advice helped me and I hope it can help you. I think that trait has proved true so far for him and perhaps that will be the same for Milo. Charlie is terribly loving of his little brother I think due to this trait he has. If making it through the first few months of his life was what we had to do to be able to enjoy a very empathetic and loving child, it was quite worth it.

I hope you can find a way to find some comfort and relief. You and Rick will be in my prayers. God knows I prayed a lot when Charlie was first born.

10:48 AM

 
Blogger K Schimmy said...

I <3 the Cooks. Thank you for your kind words, both of you. I certainly hope that Milo's intensity turns into an intense love of life, like it has with Charles.

1:52 PM

 
Blogger Stephanie Frieze said...

Kelli, do you eat dairy? Josh's first daughter could not tolerate it if Jamie ate any dairy when she was nursing and looking back I think it was Josh's problem, too, when he was a baby. Fred Meyer has some homeopathic remedies for colic. Having had one, my sympathies are with you. Try changing your diet.

8:35 AM

 
Blogger K Schimmy said...

I have been off dairy for two weeks, and it seems to have helped. I'm going to stay off it and then add it back in, slowly, to see if it's the culprit!

8:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home