The Salt Mines are still, well... salty.
I realized that I haven't done my duty to report on my foray back into "adult world"... I started back to work last week, and I haven't told you about my slightly awkward transition! So here goes:
First of all, I had to buy some new shirts that would 1) fit my larger boobs comfortably, 2) look appropriate for work, and 3) have a dark print that would hide any, um, leaks. Luckily, the latest style is the kind of shirt that floats away from the chest and waist, so I couldn't have a postpartum body at a better time, could I?
So despite the fact that I was armed with some new clothing, Monday morning was hard. The morning schedule of getting the three of us up, cleaned, changed (although Rick and I don't wear diapers, so we didn't need to change), and fed was hectic, but Rick made it out the door with a child snugly strapped in the car seat with a full diaper bag for Grandma's house. I only cried a little bit, but mostly due to being a bit stressed. Mornings haven't made me cry since that day, so I think we're looking good in that regard. After the boys left for the dropoff, I did my motherly duty and pumped right before I left for work (so the boobs wouldn't explode while I teach kids how to draw a path in InDesign, which requires that I reach over their shoulder to take the mouse... leaking would be EMBARRASSING and gross). So I rushed out the door and made it to the ol' Hilltop about two minutes before my contracted workday starts. YES, fulfilling my contractual obligations!
Everyone in the office wanted to welcome me back, which was sweet. Secret Squirrel got me flowers (they were very pretty, oranges and greens and purples), and I was delighted when most of my yearbook staffers walked through the door for first period stating "Yay, you're back!!!". I do love them. I brought them chocolate because I missed them (this is the group of kids who pooled their money and bought a big basket of baby goodies for us before Christmas... so sweet.).
Anyhoo, as much as I love the yearbook staff, it was immediately apparent to me that we have a TON of work to do for this deadline, which happened to be last Friday (thank goodness for the one-week grace period). So the harsh reality set in; so much to do! I got our cover submitted, and started to slog through the 40 spreads that must be PDF'd in time for the online submission. Oy. But hey, it's my job, and I love it, it just takes time... of which I don't have anymore!!! I failed to realize that, since I am just there for three periods, I don't have my lunch/planning period to rely upon to do things like open yearbook pages, make final edits, and run them through our PDF software. So what this means is that I have to try to do it during class, AND help students with computers that mysteriously quit working correctly while I was gone, AND submit some semester grades that my otherwise wonderful sub was not able to get done, AND field questions from my business team about book sales, AND take questions via email from the person who is teaching my afternoon classes for the rest of the year... it was a stressful day. And week. But it got better.
Through it all, people were asking about Ruary. Even kids asked about him. I printed a bunch of photos so people could see how incredibly beautiful his smile is, and I have the "Obama Rocks" picture on the board in my room (no use hiding the political leanings now that he's our president). I think about Ruary constantly, but I also feel myself falling back into my same persona as a teacher, which is comforting. I was worried that I would have changed, that I would have gone soft, but I haven't and that feels good.
When the end of third period rolls around, I shut down the computer, tidy up the desk for the afternoon teacher, visit the office to check my mailbox and tend to any administrative stuff, and I leave by 11:45. I have things to do! I go home, change clothes, pump, eat lunch, and go get my son from Grandma's house. Life is good, even if Ruary is fussy and doesn't want to nap when we get home (which has been a phase lately... that's fun). But all in all, I have a bit of my former life back, and even if it makes for a stressful day, what I do for a living makes my life rich. I just hope I can keep it all up and not exhaust myself in the process. So far, so good!


3 Comments:
Sounds like you are very busy, but once you all get into a good routine you will be very happy.
Give Ruary a big hug from Auntie Lori. See you guys next weekend.
3:48 PM
I'm delighted to hear that things are going well with the come-back. Good luck on your book deadline. We're wrapping up for our last one on Feb 24th. I'm excited to be done with the book this year. I'm excited to ground the kids to the room, and not have any possible reason for them to wander aboot. Yay!
3:58 PM
I am so glad that things went well for your return! I started back for 4 hours a week this week, and I decided to purchase a portable swing so that I can take Charles with me. Yeah, I am finding it very difficult to leave him behind. I hope I can make a good decision and get him into daycare in a few months - it would sure help the finances to have me working without him as a distraction.
12:32 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home