Your momma's so fat...
...that when she sits around the house, she sits AROUND the house.
It just dawned on me that I can now be the subject of "your momma..." jokes. And, more contemporary, just "your mom" jokes (of which I have always been a fan). Fun. I'm someone's mother (and that someone is trying to wake up from his nap, saying things like "oooooaaaawww, mmmaaaaoooooo, nyaaaaownnnnaaaa"), and I'm finally realizing how surreal that is. In eighteen+ years, I will watch this squid graduate from high school (hopefully no more than eighteen years... he may have other priorities). Right now, my life consists of analyzing the color of poopy, stripping the life out of my breasts, and deciding what adorable outfit to put on the squid today (first time I put him in overalls was today, and I nearly passed out because he's so cute). But as he grows, my life will change with him as I help him become a person. I can't wait to see what kind of books he will like, and if he will want to play in my soon-to-be studio with me or if he will reject art like many kids reject what their parents do. I wonder if he's going to be into music, and if so, what kind? Will he be the Norwegian death metal type like Dad, or is he going to dig R.E.M. and the bluesy piano stylings of Ben Folds like Mom? (what kid wouldn't like to dance to "I am Superman" by R.E.M.? That's good times.) Will he be into sports or will he just dance, dance, dance like Kevin Bacon?
And eventually, he WILL be a teenager and he WILL not want us to be involved in anything he does, although he will not have a choice because Mom will be at school and will know EVERYTHING. I will try not to be that kind of teacher-mom that insists on perfection from her child (Rick will go to conferences, not me... other teacher-parents do that, and I think it's a good idea). Bottom line, I am excited to see this kid become an average, happy, healthy creature who grows up strong and kind. The added benefit to this is that his Dad and I get to watch this process and be constantly fascinated by it.
I can't put into words how strange it was to see his face for the first time and see someone so familiar. I don't know if that is something that all mothers experience, or if it is because his face and body are an amalgamation of his parents' and so many people in our families. Every time I look at him, I say to myself, "Yep, that's my kid" and I can't imagine him looking any differently.
Just some feelings, nothing more than feelings. I guess I feel reflective because this is my last week at home before I go back to work, and I will miss this time with my 14-pound boy. Yep, 14 lbs. We're telling him he's big-boned.


2 Comments:
I love overalls! Unfortunately, my likewise big-boned boy grew out of a few pairsafter only one wearing. Good thing we have a Carter's in town... let me know if I can pick up any for you :-)
Good luck back at work!
8:27 PM
From my side of the mom thing, the feelings of amazement and wonder never go away. They may be delayed for a few hours, but they are still there. Maybe you will be lucky like we were that we were involved in the kids' activities and they didn't seem to mind so much. If they did, they were terribly polite about it. Course at first I was the one dragging them across the country to watch other kids play ball of some nature. Later I couldn't imagine not being at any event my kids were in. Selfish on my part, but I sure enjoyed it. Sometimes they didn't have to ride the bus home. It has been a wonderful ride and the upside is still coming. Enjoy!!!
8:31 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home