An update... the big trip
Friday was a day. We first stopped at Babies R Us at Jantzen Beach (it's new... we don't have to venture to the West side or Southeast Portland anymore!), where Auntie Lori met us for some Ruary time. We took so long there that we had to head right to our appointment at OHSU. By the way, if you ever go to OHSU for any reason and you have an infant or someone who can't walk too far, use the free valet parking! You don't have to tip, it's lovely.
Anyhoo, the other lactation consultant was just as wonderful as our Astoria person, and she had more resources at her disposal. After checking out Ruary's palate and determining that it wasn't too steep or too flat, she thought that his tongue could be the culprit for my instant blisters. She called the speech pathologist that is sometimes at the hospital. Luckily, he was there, and it wasn't five minutes before he was able to stop by. He was very nice, and he checked Ruary's tongue (poor Ru had many a gloved finger in his mouth that day). He said that Ruary has a long tongue, and that he uses it lazily (the only thing lazy about him, by the way). When he latches onto anything, whether it be breast, bottle or finger, he pulls his tongue back instead of cupping it around the object, and he moves his tongue back and forth, which causes the blisters. Finally, an answer!!! So we have to practice suction with him, and until that can be corrected, I shouldn't try latching him on. I'm so glad to find out that my hard work at the latch was not wasted, that I WAS doing everything correctly, it's just that his tongue isn't cooperating. So that means more pumping, but I'm the problem-solving type who likes an answer. I have my answer, so if Ruary's tongue never cooperates and I just end up pumping for as long as possible, I can live with that. If we have another baby, maybe that kid won't have a lazy tongue!
Oh well, everything else about Ruary is wonderful and healthy, there had to be something, right?
So after a great lunch at the OHSU cafeteria (wow, that's a nice cafeteria... I had tilapia with fresh green beans and curry couscous!), we went back to Jantzen Beach to hit Old Navy, where I scored some post-Xmas deals on kid stuff. We then made our obligatory stop at Burgerville (FYI... the recipe for the Chocolate Hazelnut milkshake is Rick's mom's, she works at their corporate office). "We" (as in the royal we) started to get fussy on the way home after Clatskanie, so Rick and I started singing as many 70's power ballads and folk songs as possible to keep the crying to a minimum. Some Ruary Dale favorites: "Bohemian Rhapsody" (and many other Queen hits), "Sweet Baby James", and of course, "Hotel California". Poor kid, he doesn't know what real singing is supposed to sound like.
We were all exhausted when we got to Grandma and Grandpa's house for a visit. It was a good day, but I never want to change another diaper in the back seat of the Tundra ever again... that's not fun for anyone.


6 Comments:
So glad to hear it is a functional issue that could be worked on. It's nice to know you are doing everything you can and as it is supposed to be. Wish you had seen Sarah and Andy, but they left today for home. It sounds like you had adventures in car living as we used to say. I am impressed with Rick chiming in to the songs though. That was not Joe's style and I couldn't remember any words or got them wrong. we were just commenting on how interesting it is that our kids were car sleepers and neither one of the grandkids are. What a difference a trip can be with a sleeper!!! Hope Ruary adapts well in the future.
3:39 PM
Answers are good. I'm glad that you got yours.
9:29 PM
I SO agree with the changing diapers thing... we did many in the back of my folks' suburban (we borrowed it for the trip down and back around Christmas), as well as many feedings like that.
Glad to hear that you have some answers, and as much as it sucks (ha, pun intended), it is still nice to know it's not your fault. Besides which, I am sure "lazy tongue" is just a descriptor and not a judgement.
9:49 PM
It was so nice to see all of you on Friday. Remember, Babiesrus is just down the street from me if you forgot anything.
I think I will be down this weekend. See you guys then.
9:52 AM
That is SO great to hear that you've got something that can be fixed. How cool is that. Good luck with the continued pumping and best wishes with Ruary's new "training regime". :)
1:15 PM
So glad to hear you got to the bottom of the issue. I was a prolific pumper with Michael and as such have a really nice electric pump (the Medela Pump-in-Style). My pumping days are now over and I'd be happy to lend the pump to you if you'd like to use it; if you're going to be pumping several times a day you need a good pump. I also have all the Medela accessories that are handy for pumping (microwave sterilizer bags, instant pump cleaning cloths) that are brand spanking new that I won't use... you're welcome to those as well.
Also, Ilwaco Pharmacy has the Medela Lactina, a hospital grade pump that is awesome, and you can rent it on a monthly basis from them. Most insurances pay for it.
Hope this helps!
8:40 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home