Does anyone know what the numbers "897" on this blog template mean? Anyone? Help me!!

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Copycat

I'm going to lamely follow in my sister's footsteps and wax emotional about the year we just left behind. It was easily the most tumultuous year of my life, at the same time that it was wonderful it was also gut-wrenching.

In January, we lost my Grandpa Neil. He passed away surrounded by our family, and although it was a beautiful passing I still cry when I think about how much he would love his great-grandson. Ruary has his ears, and when I see those big old ears that refuse to stay under hats on his dear little head, I get a bit weepy.

In April, we lost my Grandma Rhoda. Her passing was long and drawn-out and very hard on my family (especially my parents, who took the brunt of the care-giving and the drama that went with it... I don't know how they did it). I see her feet and toes on the end of my son's long legs (which I inherited also... I will teach Ruary to use his toes for good and not evil), and time will tell if he also got her stubbornness and strong will. I didn't really get to say goodbye to grandma, but I know she was never one to get mushy so I'm sure she forgives me for it. Before she passed, when she was still speaking, my mom heard her say something about her "15 grandchildren". She was saying some pretty random things at that point, so mom just wrote it down like she wrote down a lot of the interesting things grandma was saying. Grandma technically had 11 grandchildren and one great-grandchild at the time, so mom dismissed it. But we later realized that grandma was adding the three babies that were on the way to her list, so she was much more lucid than we thought. I hope she can see what amazing babies she helped add to the world.

And of course, this last year was the year I got pregnant, endured a nauseous and tiring but healthy pregnancy, and gave birth to the most beautiful creature I have ever seen. I have tried my best to do everything I can to make Ruary healthy and happy, sometimes sacrificing my comfort, sleep and freedom... and I couldn't be happier to do it, even if I cry a lot. I am feeling wonderful and awful all at the same time.

What a year. I hope every one of my friends and family continue to be happy and healthy and that 2009 brings great adventures (and more babies, as it seems... congratulations to the Landon family!). Cheers.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lo said...

Very well put Kel. Sounds like we were both being melancholy. It was definitely a rollercoaster year. Here is to a great 2009.

9:12 PM

 
Blogger Mom and Dad said...

Happy New Year and thank you for including us in that joy and heart felt love. It is always amazing to me how you hook up with folks over the years and share life experiences along the way. I can honestly say seeing you girls have babies is one of the most proud moments I have had the honor of being a part of. And we had some pretty cool moments when you guys were in school but this tops them all. And know that I feel strongly that those who are not in this world anymore are right at elbow of what is happening and are enjoying these events too. xoxoxo

9:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home