Ya down with PPD? Yeah, you know me.
Ooooh, she's clinically depressed. Freaky. I wonder what that's about?
Even with depression running in the family, I always wondered what it would really feel like to have to rely on a medication for your mental well-being. Well, now I know (and as GI Joe says, "knowing is half the battle!"). I found myself sinking deep into that dark place that I visited after Ruary's birth. Thinking it was due to my failed breastfeeding attempts, I never got it treated back then. I was stupid. Not only should I have gotten it treated, I should have been more aware the second time around and started getting treated as soon as Milo was born. But instead, I waited six weeks for my doctor to tell me, "WHY DIDN'T YOU CALL ME SOONER?"
So here I am, medicated with the lowest effective dose of Zoloft, and I am human again. Granted, it's not terribly easy on my body, but boy, does my brain feel so much BETTER. I can laugh. And joke. And enjoy.
Before the meds kicked in, I wasn't enjoying. I was doing my best to smile at Milo and talk to him and love him, but it felt like acting. Now I'm not acting, and my smiles and conversation with my verbal little man are genuine and fun. Before, I was swatting Ruary's butt more often than I wanted to, and now I'm able to talk to him about why he shouldn't throw things in the house. And he responds much better to that, because he is a sensitive little soul. I'm a better mom, because I am right in the head.
PPD is scary. I don't think I smiled for weeks. I remember hanging my head and just crying, SOBBING, when the smallest thing went wrong. That's not normal. So now, I will watch people like a hawk when they give birth, making sure that they don't have to experience the process of dismissing their depression as the "baby blues", only to find out that they are the 1 in 5 mothers who develop PPD from their baby blues. I wish someone had ordered me to get help earlier.


5 Comments:
So glad you weren't too proud to get it treated. I know so many people who wouldn't do anything about it and kicked themselves later. Yay for having your mind back and being a great mom again!
8:49 PM
I, too, am glad you went for the medication and treatment. Science! It's our friend! I hope you already know about dooce.com, too. If not... she's a mother of two who went through extreeeeme ppd. She's got lots of good things to say about treatment and her experiences. Also, it's always nice to know you're not alone. Which you're not.
hugs.
4:47 PM
I love you and your beautiful family. I am proud of you for your knowledge and willingness to kick PPD and cheers to modern science!!
6:22 PM
@Crystal... I LOVE dooce.com. I think she is one reason why PPD is becoming de-stigmatized, since she's so willing to talk about her experience.
6:28 AM
The stigma about depression, whether PPD or not, is really annoying. I hate it that people say stupid things like, "Just feel better! PMA! You can do it!" No, sometimes you can't do it. And really, when it comes down to it, the medication that keeps us from being depressed keeps us good parents, good spouses, good friends. And no one should ever look down on that.
1:44 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home