No sympathy
First off, I have never loved anything as much as I love this squirmy, pink little guy that thinks it's funny to pee on mom and dad. I'll put a new picture up soon, but rest assured that he is even more sickeningly adorable than he was when he was born (the cone head is gone).
I have experienced the child-centric feelings of a parent. It's weird.
Today, we went to the urologist for Ruary's "snip-snip" procedure (forgive the minced words, but you get all sorts of idiots sending you horrendous comments if you mention the actual word in your blog). That was extremely traumatic, and I had to leave the room before I collapsed into a puddle of tears. He and daddy were troopers, and after he heals, we can be normal again. Thank God for children's Tylenol is all I have to say.
Sooooo, we went to leave the doctor's office, and we heard a HUGE amount of emergency vehicles heading in the direction we would be going... never a good sign. We drove toward the bridge, only to see that the top span was covered in flashing blue and red lights. Also, the park underneath the bridge was full of police and ambulances as well. Crap. Yep, bridge was closed... someone jumped.
Instead of having my normal reaction of extreme sadness for someone taking their own life, I was dealing with an eight-day-old baby who was in pain and needed to get home and out of his car seat so we could comfort him, so my reaction was more like extreme anger at this selfish person who decided to make a spectacle out of his choice in order to bring the world to a halt. I'm still reflecting on these feelings, and although it scares me to think that I have shifted priorities in such a way, I am embracing it because I know it's hormonal to look out for my squid. I apologize if anyone is offended by my callous feelings toward this person (they didn't know who it was when I last checked the news), but the feelings are very real.
Long story short, we waited in line for over an hour to get on the bridge (while we watched traffic being let go from the other direction for over twenty minutes and we didn't get to move anywhere... that didn't help the anger). We both had to pee, and I couldn't stop crying and turning on the dome light to check on Ruary since he had just had his first ever dose of Tylenol. A terrible experience that was bad enough before the bridge closed. Anyway, we got home, peed, got Ruary dressed in comfy clothes, and Mom and Dad brought dinner over (bless them!). We have a very fussy baby on our hands right now, but he is doing fine considering what we just put him through. It is currently after 2 am, and Rick just informed me that we're heading for our middle-of-the-night meltdown soon (we don't know if it's gas or just boredom!), so I will have to leave you all to get mentally prepared... when he cries, I cry, so I should probably hydrate.


4 Comments:
Good morning from fussy baby land! I can honestly say that the crying (yours, not his) gets better, hang in there... When he heals, it is an amazing thing to see a happy baby and your heart will melt every day all over again
5:48 AM
I feel your irritation for the jumper – do you want me to ask O what he was? I’m thinking he’d shout IDIOT!. It is the hardest thing to do to drive in a car with a crying baby, especially when you know it was because of the discomfort of the snipping. Way to make it through that tough situation though. Looking back it has to feel good knowing that you handled it, even if you were crying. Remember the tears aren't emotion - they're just like breathing for this first part of the journey - a necessity and/or reflex. Never be upset with yourself for it.
2:26 PM
Sheflex said it best...Remember the tears aren't emotion. Kind of like how I cry when I am PMSing and I can't tell anyone why I am crying. Hang in there!! I love you. Give Ruary a huge kiss from Auntie.
3:09 PM
Wow, it's nice to see you all being able to support with "real time" thoughts. My fussy baby things are long gone. Not the memories mind you, but the issues change. As for the jumper, you are right - talk about a disruption to everyone's life. However, you guys are doing so amazing with the issues, I am constantly amazed. Joe was the strong one in our house for the first few weeks. I was a mess. Just so doggone tired, I hadn't ever dealt with that before. I truly understood why people say, when the baby sleeps so do you. I learned that lesson well. Once each of you learns more about each other and gets into more of a routine, it is better. My observation of Amelia is that her heart melted the entire time from the beginning to now. From your comments, your heart is very much on that page. Bless you both.
7:34 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home