Icy, snowy goodness
We ventured out into the white, frosty, sparkly world today to go to Astoria. We were afraid that Ruary had come down with thrush, and we didn't want to 1) go to a pediatrician we didn't know here in Ilwaco, 2) wait until Monday when the weather could be even worse to go to the doctor or 3) have to go to Urgent Care over the weekend only to have a huge bill and be exposed to a bunch of sick people. So we went... luckily, there were a lot of appointment openings because of the weather, so they gave us a half-hour window instead of an appointment time, which I think was nice of them.Yes, the drive was kind of scary, but most of the packed snow had broken up into wet pavement when we went (about 1 pm). The Alternate was the worst, and of course the shady spots were freaky... but what I must share with everyone (especially those who know the Peninsula) is that the pond on the east side of the Fort Columbia tunnel was FROZEN OVER. I think that might be the first time I have ever seen that. Anyway, we made it fine and in once piece. However, we just got a call from our neighbor that the driveway that leads to the three houses up here is impassable without someone towing you from the top (we're elevated about 60 feet). Rick put on his woolens and headed out to "help". It's packed snow, and they're expecting more snow tonight. Oy. Our doctor said that they are comparing this storm with 1983's winter storm, which I actually remember vividly because the Chinook Lutheran church burned during that storm, and there are old home videos Dad shot while we were in the truck with him of the Chinook port all frozen.
The upside: Ruary doesn't have thrush (the trip wasn't wasted, though... we needed to hit Safeway anyway, and we got to weigh Ruary and find out that he is up to 11 lbs 3 oz), and my school district was closed today so I hope that means I have just saved one day of leave.


3 Comments:
Wow! I can't believe I keep missing all the snow. We have some, but not enough.
I am glad that Ruary does not have thrush (whatever that is).
I am hoping the rain hurries up so we can all get to Lincoln City.
8:19 PM
You guys are brave! I remember that snowstorm of '83 vividly as one of my best childhood memories.
What pediatrician are you guys seeing? Michael sees Dr. Ensminger at Ocean Beach Medical Clinic and he is WONDERFUL. He is a bit of an odd dude and perhaps not someone I would want as my own doctor, but for kids he is great. He is always incredibly thorough and takes an hour with us whenever we bring Michael in, no matter what the issue. He covers all the bases... general health, sleeping, eating, you name it.
It might not hurt to establish him as a backup in case you don't want to journey to Astoria every time Ruary gets sick. Whenever Michael comes down with something we call and they can usually squeeze us in without an appointment; sometimes they'll even say, "Can you be here in ten minutes?" We've also been to the new Urgent Care in Astoria (the one located in the same building as the women's center) and they were very speedy and the bill was much cheaper than both our regular doctor or the ER.
Our little Jenna is set to be born on Tuesday... hopefully we can get the kids together sometime soon!
8:36 PM
I remember the snowstorm of '83. I had a little 110 film camara and I used an entire role of film to take snow pictures. I had those pictures forever! I loved them. Today I went out and took a ton of pictures also.
I can't beleive that water next to the tunnel was frozen. Crazy.
I'm glad Ruary is okay and almost as big as Olivia. He will be walking soon.
10:55 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home