Rock bottom
Saturday, I had had enough. I was dealing with clogged ducts on one of my breasts, and the other was still not healed enough to nurse on. I felt like I would never heal enough to breastfeed, and that I was missing out on vital time with Ruary because I was always pumping and that my breasts hurt so much that I couldn't pick him up. So I called my lactation specialist in tears (sobbing, more like it) to say that I wanted to stop trying to breastfeed. She was supportive, saying that some women just have challenging breasts and it doesn't work well, and that time with my baby was more important. So I started the process of stopping.
That afternoon, I had a change of heart. I felt like I was killing something inside of me by stopping, and I decided to declare war on my uncooperative breasts and that I was going to spend as much time with my baby regardless of pain or pumping, and that I wanted to make this work. I really felt like I was experiencing a loss by saying that I wanted to stop, and it felt like I was going against all of my maternal instincts (which everyone insists is something not to ignore). I just want the very best for Ruary, and I hate the smell of formula and the effect it has on his poo, so I'm going to give it another go. I haven't called my lactation specialist back, I'm afraid she is going to think I am crazy.
I need help from everyone... please send me your good thoughts, prayers, energy, anything that might help. This has to work.


11 Comments:
I don't have advice never having gone through it. But I know that you can do it. Let yourself heal a couple days and then give it a go.
You are not crazy, don't think that you are. You are trying to do the best for your little boy.
10:47 AM
Most moms at some point wish for a personalized instruction book either for themselves or the new kid in the house. This much I know: you will make the right call. You cannot break Ruary as long as he feels the love!
4:53 PM
Kelli, was going to call you, but don't know your number....If you want me to call, please let me know 3659. Am at home tonight....don't know if I can help but us top of the hill folks have to stick together.
7:35 PM
Only you know what is best for Ruary. You know his moods and what you can take. If this is what you want to do - you'll do it.
10:03 PM
To "Mom and Dad": You can call me, of course... I'm 4444.
9:30 AM
just in case you can't tell... "mom and Dad" is Loris.
12:54 PM
I am always sending good thoughts your way.
8:08 PM
Kelli, I'm sorry to hear your breasts are giving you fits! But if anyone can put their mind to something, especially if it is for a good cause, and get it done, it's YOU! You're one of the most determined (stubborn?) people I know! All the best of luck.
Also, that baby of yours is damn cute!!!
Finally, stay warm and cozy in this crazy cold weather! xoxoxoxo
4:54 PM
Hi there. This is Carole Karnofski (Jarrod Karnofski's wife) writing. First of all, congratulations on your beautiful boy! He is a doll and I have enjoyed discovering your blog and finding that we share a lot of common experiences (I had a c-section at CMH also, which Loris also scrubbed in for).
It is ironic you would post this today because I just posted something really similar on my blog. I was ultimately unsuccessful at nursing Michael and am hoping that this time (we're having baby girl on Tuesday!) is going to go better.
I unfortunately have no advice to offer but a lot of people have commented with good tips at my blog, if you want to check.
Congrats again, and I would love to get our kiddos together sometime soon!
7:04 PM
Sorry, thought my address would come thru... my blog is:
http://chatty71180.typepad.com
7:05 PM
Just spoke to you girl! Love the photos, you can tell you both have so much love for the little guy! That said, it will work itself out, you are and will be an amazing mom! Love you!!!
11:51 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home